Sunday 14 February 2010

LA Street Food Festival FAIL


I expected to eat my heart out at the festival. That surely did not happen at the LA Street Food Festival. And luck was certainly not on my side that day. I thought I'd be green and take the Metro there. Thought I'd be smart to avoid traffic and parking and take the Metro. I thought that planning my strategy (wait in line, get food, bring food to next line, wait in line, get food, bring food to next line, and so on and so forth) at the festival would get me to accomplish the goal of eating from 10 food trucks. NO, NO, and NO!

I didn't even see the end of the entrance line that wrapped around the gates, into the parking lot, and back out the gates leading all the way to San Francisco. Oi, needless to say, we decided to leave and feed our hunger pains elsewhere. The destination was Little Tokyo and Wurstkuche.

Turns out Wurstkuche had the wUrst line. Har Har Har... So plans shifted from Wurstkuche to Curry House. We waited what seemed forever, and the sound of my name for our party was like the sound of heaven.


Had the Keema Curry. Not as spicy as the Chicken & Ginger dish. Still good, but I do enjoy the spiciness a lot more. But at that moment, anything that entered my mouth and stomach would be welcomed with the most open arms ever. Hunger and walking in the blasted sun is not a good combination.


We found this truck nearby: Dainty Cakes. Is this the only truck not at the LA Street Food Festival? Well, it wasn't that great. They only had freshly baked Red Velvet cupcakes by the time it was my turn in line. I wasn't even hungry. But we all know I have a weakness for sweets. I really wanted the Salty Chocolate brownie... but alas, none left. The Red Velvet was so-so. The cakey-part was good. But the frosting isn't the best I've ever had.


Red Bean Cakes at Mitsuru Cafe! I do enjoy these, but these aren't the best I've ever had either. Nothing will compare to those in Asakusa, Tokyo... of course.


Mochi ice cream at Mikawaya! I had the Kona Coffee and the Chocolate Mochi. I enjoy those chocolate bits in the Chocolate one. The Kona was good too. But I didn't know they had Mochilato's now! I forgot to buy one, so I'll be back for those soon.

Despite the total LA Street Food Festival fail, I consoled my sad, hungry stomach with Little Tokyo eats.

Note to self and yourself, perhaps: Just try the food trucks at LArtwalk. You'll have a better chance, and you don't have to pay an entrance fee. Follow them on twitter, and go leisurely.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true that. true that.
    i think my stomach would have eaten my face if i waited in that line. really. my FACE.
    i don't know what that means...
    but good choice on little tokyo though.
    the live entertainment was great too.

    ReplyDelete