Friday 12 February 2010

DTLA Artwalk has also become a FOODwalk.

I've been to Downtown LA's artwalk about 3 or 4 times. The first time, I really did look at art. The next few times, all these food trucks started popping up, and I started getting hungry while walking all over for art. This time, I did a good mix of both. Here are my discoveries this time!

Big MAN Bakes. I was eye-ing this place the day before when I had a meeting across the street at Blossom Restaurant. It was closed, so I couldn't go explore it at the time. LArtwalk was my chance. And sure enough, I found myself waiting in line trying to figure out which ONE I wanted to try. I'd like to try all of them TBH. I tried "The Old School". $3.25 a cupcake. Pricey, sure. But I'll try anything once. The man knows how to bake cupcakes. Moist, very cakey, and that frosting is not overbearing. Thank you, William.

Nickel Diner. Eversince I had that bacon doughnut at VooDoo in Portland, I had to remember to compare it with LA's. I definitely find VooDoo's to be better. This one is not as Maple-ey. The bacon is sprinkled on the whole thing, so you actually taste the bacon in each bite. Verdict: VooDoo wins. Still, not bad Nickel. Another note... Nickel has a VELVET DOUGHNUT. Trust, you'll find me at the next LArtwalk with that in my mouth.

Grilled Cheese Truck. You know, when I first heard of this truck I didn't think too much of it. "Oh I can make those at home..." But then I actually read the menu, and I felt the saliva drip down my chin. We caught this at LArtwalk... our first stop. Pictured above is a Cheesy Mac & Rib w/ BBQ pork and carmelized onions grilled cheese sandwich + Gruyere & Bacon grilled cheese sandwich. Both of these have FATASS written all over it. Did I enjoy it? HELL YES. I'll have to try their dessert grilled cheese sandwiches.

LArtwalk has evolved quite a lot since I've been. I haven't even been going that consistently or for that long. But the mobile food movement truly brings me in a lot more. Where there is food, there I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment