Thursday 25 February 2010

Big Eyes. Not-so-big Stomach.

I like to say that I am a fatass... but in actuality, I believe my eyes are bigger than my stomach. WAY BIGGER. However, in some rare cases, I can eat like a dinosaur. I have some witnesses who can vouch for that. (OK, OK... I might be exaggerating. I am no Koboyashi).

Well anyway, I had driven almost an hour in rush-hour traffic in LA. Through the horror that LA-folks know as 101 and 110. I had just gotten off work. It was not rainy, but sprinkle-y... and apparently no one knows how to drive in that weather. And my stomach was about to start a brawl.

Gina had told me about this place: Flor Blanca, and since then pupusas were on the brain. It was the time to try it.

Prices are not bad at all. I bought 4 pupusas, 2 horchatas, and 2 plantains for about $17. That fed 2 people. It might as well have fed 4 people.

That horchata was DEEEEEEEEEELICIOUSSSSSSS. Now I don't know too much about the drink, but all I know is that this one was mighty tasty. The cup looked small, but it was just the right amount for me... (I realized that after the meal).

The pupusas are actually a good size. For only $2, that is not bad at all. I should have stuck to ONE pupusa. My eyes said two. My stomach didn't fight it. But I swear I felt the sides of my stomach slowly stretching.

I have had pupusas at several places in LA already. I actually haven't had a bad pupusa yet. Flor Blanca delivers, alright. The pupusa is so incredibly cheesy; how could you go wrong? I ordered the chicharron and the squash and cheese pupusas. I couldn't even tell the difference with the amount of cheese in those things. It didn't matter, it tasted amazing as soon as it hit my hungry, hungry mouth.

I could hardly finish my pupusas. I left maybe 1/5 on my plate. I moved on to this heavenly thing: plantain. I've never had plantains like this before. It was basically plantains surrounding some custard-y middle. It looked like a big burnt yellow potato. As soon as you cut into it, this is what you see. I didn't eat all of the middle since it was a bit too much for me. I do love plantains though. But it put me over the edge. I felt like I ate the world for dinner....

Flor Blanca is good. I don't know if I can call it the best I ever had though. I don't know if one pupuseria has caught my tongue yet. I haven't tasted THE ONE yet. But this definitely isn't a miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment