Wednesday 15 July 2009

Freshest Sushi Ever


I remember the first time I tried sushi. I didn't like it. It took me a while to get used to. Especially the raw stuff. I could hardly chew and swallow the cold pieces of fish in my mouth. But time has passed, and I definitely LOVE sushi. If I were rich and didn't have to worry about mercury poisoning, I would eat it every day. No lies.

I made a trip out to Tokyo a few weeks ago and I got to taste the freshest sushi ever. Sushi in Tokyo is different. It's straight up fish on rice. I LOVE IT. Wherever I went, I did not see the spicy mayo or the spicy tuna. None of this americanized-type sushi. I ended the trip with the best breakfast ever: SUSHI @ TSUKIJI FISH MARKET. I was told to go see the auctions of the big tuna, then go to the small sushi bars nearby. But not just any small sushi bar; it had to be the one with the longest line. We did just that. Waited about one hour @ 7am. Got in about 8am. And the best 7 pieces of sushi entered my mouth shortly after.

My favorites were the fatty tuna, salmon, squid, and another one (I know!! I forgot! How could I?!) The fatty tuna was like heaven in my mouth. The salmon was like no salmon I've ever tasted before. I don't even really like squid, but this one was so good. It wasn't super chewy like others I've had. And the mystery sushi I had, I loved that small amount of ginger on the top.

Needless to say, if you are ever in Tokyo, I suggest you do the same. It was a great way to end the trip, and I'll say it was worth waking up at 4am. I swear there was an instant smile on all our faces after walking out of that sushi bar. Mhmmm, I dream of the day I come back and slap that smile on my face again.

1 comment:

  1. i don't remember the first time i had real sushi. i feel like i should though; it's an important "first" memory. i do know, however, that those delectable pictures and poignant descriptions made me want to lick my computer screen. mmm. sushi.

    ReplyDelete